In this episode of The CoQuora Podcast, David & Charrise will discuss how action stops our fears. Fear is what stops most of us from doing anything. Our thinking has to change to stop our fears and allow the action to happen. Listen in to learn about a powerful 3-step process you can take to identify your fear and move into inspired action.
- Everything that we’re doing in CoQuora is all about getting people into action. Getting communities, towns, organizations, institutions into action, because obviously that’s how the world gets changed.
- Fear is the only thing that ever stops us.
- It’s the thinking that we bring to a situation that causes us to stop because we’re afraid.
- David White has a really amazing quote, and he says, “It is not the thing you fear that you must deal with. It is the mother of the thing you fear. The very thing that has given birth to the nightmare.”
- It’s really, really important to get underneath the actual origin of the fear. Sometimes it’s sneaky, and it doesn’t look like what you think it looks like.
- Understanding what’s the worst that can happen and then following that thought with “Can I survive that?”
- Step 1: identify the fear. Step 2: Put some logic around it. What’s the worst that could happen. Step 3: Get into immediate action.
- Action and fear cannot coexist
- The ego part of us that wants to keep us safe. That’s really where all this fear thinking comes from.
- We are hardwired to not be wrong, to not look foolish, to not dominate, to fit in, to belong.
- Some people don’t really view talking, conversing, having dialog as an action orientation and it absolutely is. It’s how everything gets solved and created. Using language and conversation.
- The fear that comes up when people are in creative, collaborative, difficult conversations is that they’re going to look stupid.
- You get to a decision and you begin to take action, but then the action begins to teach you what’s working and what’s not.
- Once you do get started with something, then it’s going to be very clear what’s next for you
- Whenever something doesn’t go exactly the way you thought it would, there’s always something to learn.
- There’s something to be said also for recognizing apathy when it exists in you, and then deciding what’s a baby step you can take to start to care about this thing again
- CoQuora is an antidote to disappointment and to apathy
“It is not the thing you fear that you must deal with. It is the mother of the thing you fear. The very thing that has given birth to the nightmare.” David Whyte
We invite each of you to try on Charrise’s 3-part fear process.
The first step is to identify the origin of the fear that you’re feeling. Part 2 would be to identify some logic around it and to ask yourself what’s the worst thing that could happen. Step 3 is to get into action.
Decide to try that process out on something that’s in your life. Something maybe at work. Maybe at home. Maybe in a group activity. Find something that you’ve been stuck about and walk yourself through that process. When you’ve finished, go to the podcast page and leave an audio message or send us a note. Let us know what happened. The stories are the most compelling part of this podcast and this movement, so we’d really love to hear where you started out, and what your experience was with the process. And then what was the outcome? What happened? Because something great is going to happen.
Don’t forget to leave us a voicemail sharing your insights and stories.